E-cigarettes and Vape Kits Supporting Smokefree New Zealand 2025
The growing data caused great concern, prompting an aggressive course of action from the Ministry of Health. To ensure that Kiwi families and children are protected against the life-threatening risks of smoking, a future New Zealand was envisioned to be smokefree by 2025. To support this, e-cigarettes and vape kits were seen as vital tools in stringent tobacco control.
Smokefree NZ 2025The New Zealand government acknowledges the grave burden of the health issues and deaths caused by combustible smoking. In response, the NZ government committed to a Smokefree 2025 goal in 2011. This aims to reduce smoking rates and keep the smoking prevalence in the country at a low 5% by the target year. The government also agreed to relax their regulation on tobacco availability. It is not, however, about banning smoking entirely but it’s an action taken so that by 2025 hardly any Kiwi will smoke.
The smoking ban in indoor workplaces, early childhood centres, and schools only applies to traditional tobacco smoke. Though this does not apply to electronic cigarettes and vaping systems, it is up to companies and individual business operators to decide whether or not to include the prohibition of vaping in their policies.
Smokefree 2025 aims to:
- Protect children and young adults under 18 from exposure to tobacco product marketing and promotion
- Further restrict access of minors to tobacco
- Reduce tobacco supply and demand
- Provide support and the best possible tool for quitting which includes e-cigarettes and vape kits
- Promote the auahi kore or the norm of a non-smoking lifestyle
Having a smoke free environment and becoming a part of the non-smoking population leads to:
- Healthier NZ
- Lesser chance for children to acquire the habit
- Lots of money saved by taking out tobacco or combustible cigarettes (which are expensive) from the monthly budget
- Cleaner air, free from secondhand smoke which is accounted for a yearly number of 500 premature deaths in New Zealand
- Support health and wellbeing of Kiwi families and whānau
What Smokefree 2025 means for consumers:
- Vaping systems and nicotine-containing e-liquids can be lawfully sold in New Zealand
- Heated or heat-not-burn tobacco products will become available for purchase
For local retailers, importing merchants, and manufacturers:
- The same law that forbids businesses from advertising, promoting and selling to those under 18 years old applies when it comes to e-cigs, vape kits, and heated tobacco products.
- Distribution and selling of e-liquids, nicsalts, and vaping devices have been legalised.
Vaping Better than Smoking
Smoking damages nearly all organs and systems that keep a human body well and functioning. Aside from acute leukaemia and other forms of cancer, it also leads to a host of heart and pulmonary complications. Long-term use significantly destroys the body’s immune function, and deterioration is accelerated.
E-cig starter kits and other vaping systems offer a healthy transition to complete smoking cessation. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms make quitting difficult, and can sometimes be strong enough to become solid roadblocks. To avoid slipping back into the habit, e-liquids with different nicotine strengths can help. By slowly reducing the nicotine levels ingested over time, the intensity of the symptoms can be lessened for better control. Thus, smokers switching to e-liquid vaping are more likely to decrease risks of health problems and death especially for people around them.